Any adult in the Milton Area School District must go through a series of clearances, including FBI fingerprinting and a TB test, in order to interact with your student during the school day. The following links and information are here in the event you would like to volunteer in one of our Milton Area School buildings or participate in a field trip with your student:
Here is the direct link to the Volunteer handbook for this school year: https://www.milton.k12.pa.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Volunteer-handbook-08-09-2016.pdf
To give you further insight and step by step instructions, the following italicized quotations are taken directly from the handbook, explaining the clearance portion. The info and links after the quoted portion of the handbook are to give you further details and make your process easier:
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
Volunteers are parents or community members who voluntarily offer a service to the District without compensation. The following steps must be completed prior to starting actual volunteer services. Instructions for obtaining clearances can be found on the district website under Human Resources, Employment Opportunities:
1) Complete the Volunteer Application Form and return it to the building principal. — The form is available at the school preprinted or found here https://www.milton.k12.pa.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Volunteer-form.pdf After receiving or printing a copy of the application, fill out the requested details and return to the school. You must have your request approved by the school before you complete and turn in the remaining forms needed to become an approved volunteer.
2) After initial approval from the building principal, you will need to obtain your clearances which include:
* a. Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Records Check (Act 34) — https://epatch.state.pa.us/TandCVolunteerAction.do Fill out this form as a volunteer. Print the form out, fill out the form and begin a ‘file or stack of paperwork’ to submit to the school at one time.
b. Child Abuse History Clearance(Act 151) — https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home Choose ‘create individual account,’ fill out the info, and print the details to submit to the school. We have found this may take some time to get back, depending on the time of year. If you attempt to gain this clearance in August, just before school starts, we have known it to take up to four weeks to return to us approved. When you receive your approved clearance, add this to your file to turn into the school.
c. Federal Criminal History Background Check, PDE or DPW (Act 114) — When applying for your FBI Fingerprinting, there is a fee that is an out of pocket expense. Go to https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index_pde.htm , click ‘register online’ on the right side and follow the directions. The fee is due when you are on the federal website. Once the form is printed out, take the form to an approved business that is able scan your fingerprints. The closest business to complete your FBI clearances is Taylor’s Garage on Broadway Road in Milton and The UPS Store across from Walmart in Lewisburg. There are no additional fees at the approved locations. Once again, the school will need copies of the completed paperwork.
d. Arrest/Conviction Report (Act 24) — http://www.education.pa.gov/documents/teachers-administrators/background%20Checks/arrest%20or%20conviction%20form.pdf Print this form, fill out the form and turn the completed form to the school.
3) You will need to complete the on-line Mandated Reporter Training and submit proof of completion. The on-line training is available at www.reportabusepa.pitt.edu — After you finish the training and test, you will need to provide a copy of the certificate showing your completion to the school.
4) You will need to provide the results of a tuberculosis (TB) test. — You will need to call your doctors office and request a TB test. After receiving the injection, you will have to return to your doctors office to have the results read within 48 hours. The doctor’s office will provide you with your results and the school will need a copy of your results. Depending on your health insurance, you may receive a fee for this service.
After compiling the above, completed paperwork, turn in your certificates and forms to the school office. The office administrators will double check your pages, make copies and then submit your information to the School Board agenda for final approval.
5) Your name will then be placed on the School Board agenda for approval. — The board meets once a month and you must be on their agenda prior to their meeting. The meetings are listed on the calendar, but there is a deadline the office can provide you as to the cutoff of their compiled agenda for a given month.
6) Once approved, you will be contacted by the building principal to begin your volunteer service.
* See the building secretary to determine if you are required to complete steps 2 – 4.
As a volunteer, state law requires clearances every five (5) years. You are responsible for any cost of the clearances and TB test.
You will need to complete Step 1 above, using the Volunteer Application Renewal form, each year to assure we have your correct contact information. You must be board approved every year prior to serving as a volunteer. — https://www.milton.k12.pa.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Volunteer-form-renewal.pdf
We know this is a lot required to volunteer within our buildings, but please know it is for the safety of your student. As always thank you for your time and understanding!